Re: Casey - Dependence

Thank you Casey Ryback. While you obviously did not read my last post (rant) well enough, you bring up an interesting point. My last post did contain punctuation, correct grammar and so on. It did not contain proper capitalization. And if you have ever had quick email dialogue with me you would know this to be true in that case as well. Microsoft Office has made us so dependent on automatic corrections for common mistakes such as capitalization at the beginning of a sentence. I am extremely guilty of this scenario. I personally am extremely reliant on Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, Entourage/Outlook to automatically correct many of my mistakes in order for me to type faster and more carelessly. While I always self punctuate, (although I may be comma heavy and period light), I hate being bothered by using the shift key for the pronoun or beginning of a sentence. In my personal business, my notes are always capitalized and the shift key is never an issue, never needing to be utilized. So whether always using the caps lock or never using it, my normal writing never requires my personal use of the shift key. So when it comes to writing in a program (like this web based blog, or web based e-mail) that is not associated with automatic corrections, my presentation may suffer. Obviously a simple copy and paste solution is possible. But i point this out to show how dependent many of us have become to these automatic corrections in various programs. Just another simple thing we tend to overlook until it is automatically unavailable like so many other effortless conditioned scenarios we normally partake in.

No comments:

Post a Comment